This is a 4 hour session.
General observations by agents, their clients/customers and consumer protection authorities indicate that the rental department brings about far more complaints between parties and agents than does the marketing (listing/selling) side of the industry. This is due to the immense detail expected from good property management processes and the ample potential for conflict between tenant and owner expectations.
There are many “responsible R’s” when working in a rental department ranging from knowing your rights, responsibilities, regulations and risk.
Some of the “Responsible R’s” that are discussed in this unit are:
- Requirements of the rental department
- Role and responsibilities of a property portfolio manager
- Recruitment of a Property Manager
- Reputation of the Rental Department
- Reviews to Referrals (How to build a rent role)
- Rejecting a rental application
- Reference checking & screening tenants
- Responsible pet owners
- Rewarding good tenants
- Rude and difficult clients and customers
- Resolving disputes and managing conflict
- Residential Condition Report
- Routine inspections
- Reasonable wear and tear versus damage
- Repairs and maintenance (who is responsible)
- Reliable “tradies”
- Recovery of a debt above the bond
- Risks and dangerous situations
- Residential Tenancy Commissioner & the Residential Deposit Authority