Key roles and responsibilities in the real estate sector

Property Agents Board

The Property Agents Board acts on behalf of the State Government (through the Office of Consumer Affairs) to manage the registration of Real Estate Agents, Property Managers, and General Auctioneers; the level of education required by property agents; to enforce the Act and Code of Conduct that governs Real Estate industry behaviour, with a Tribunal system to address serious complaints.

The Real Estate Institute of Tasmania

The Real Estate Institute is an industry membership body representing up to 95% of real estate professionals in the state. The REIT is a registered training organisation providing training for those wishing to enter the industry, and for those within the industry to maintain a high level of professionalism and expertise. The REIT provides a wide range of member services for its members and these include: forms, employment contracts, marketing research, special events, legislation advice, government lobbying, media liaison, newsletters, website and more.

Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading

The Office of Consumer Affairs (Justice Department) administers the legislation governing the real estate industry and works towards ensuring that the laws are adhered to. The office also addresses public complaints under the Fair Trading Act and provides consumer advice. Consumer Affairs also assists with adjudicating on residential leasing disputes (refer to the Renting in Tasmania booklet).

Rental Deposit Authority

The Rental Deposit Authority (RDA) is Tasmania’s ‘state government bond board’ which is common place all over Australia. Bonds paid by residential tenants for private rentals and those via a real estate agent are required as from July 1st, 2009 to deposit their bond money paid by tenant into their nearest Service Tasmania office. The bond will remain totally secure until such time as the tenancy concludes and both landlord and tenant have agreed for the money to be released. The forms, information on how the RDA works and how disputes with maintenance, damages etc may be handled are available from RDA and Service Tasmania.

Residential Tenancy Commissioner

You would be safe to say that the Residential Tenancy Commissioner is a government appointed official whose role is to determine disputes over the disbursement of residential rental bonds. The Commissioner can also make certain orders with respect to boarding premises. The Commissioner is supported in this role by an Office which investigates the dispute and makes a recommendation to the Commissioner. Phone 1300 654 499 or https://cbos.tas.gov.au/topics/housing

Tasmanian Residential Rental Property Owners Association

The Tasmanian Residential Rental Property Owners Association is a not-for-profit body established to help ensure that rental property owners are consulted, supported and treated fairly. The Association advocates strongly for fair rights for owners and on property ownership matters such as land tax reform. The Association also provides a range of services to its members, including access to a supportive community of fellow landlords. www.tasmanianrentalowners.com

The Tenants' Union of Tasmania

The Tenants’ Union of Tasmania Inc. is a not for profit community organisation offering free services including tenancy advice, advocacy and referrals. The Tenants Union also offer free community legal education and training in issues relating to tenancy.

Legal Aid Commission

The Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania provides access to legal and social justice for all Tasmanians by the provision of representation, advice and education on legal issues. Free legal advice is available to everyone through their Telephone Advice Service. Their number is 1300 366 611 and available on Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.